Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Gay Marriage

Edwards Supports Gay Marriage

... but it's the wrong Edwards [more...]

---------------------------------------

"it's something that I struggle with. Do I believe they should have the right to marry? I'm not there yet. [...] I think it's from my own personal culture and faith belief. [...] I struggle myself with imposing my faiths [...] it's just part of who I am." [John Edwards, Feb. '07]

Sounds like a case of 'good cop, bad cop' to me. Members of the GLBTXQ# community can support Edwards for President with a clear conscience since his wife is so preciously progressive.

I suppose we can look to Obama's wife for the same kind of backdoor support.

"I'm a Christian, and so although I try not to have my religious beliefs dominate or determine my political views on this issue, I do believe that tradition and my religious beliefs say that marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman." [Barack Obama, Sep. '04]

And so sadly, i get no warm fuzzies when i ponder any of the first tier presidential candidates. Either they're being honest, in which case i really question their ability to govern a secular society, given their "struggle" to keep their church out of our bedrooms) or they've chosen their fucus [sic] group tested response, and they're sticking to it.

My ideal candidate would say something to this effect: "You know, i've got no problem with gays getting married. In fact, i think marriage strengthens families... all families. But as President, i will not push for gay marriage. As the people's representatives however progress on this issue, it would be my pleasure one day to sign equal marriage rights into law."

No comments: