Saturday, May 3, 2008

LOTR: Return of the Ring



So that neighbor with a friend who bought a metal detector on the spur of the moment gave me a call this morning informing me she had dropped off said gadget on our back porch. I was a goin' prospectin' so I saddled up and skidaddled. I was soon man handling the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV. It had a switch, two dials and a meter. I tossed two pit, a nickel, a dime and a penny on the ground, flipped the switch, played with the dials, waved the wand and watched the meter... beep... beep-beep... beep.

I first employed the blind chicken strategy. Could be here! Beep... scratch. Could be there! Beep... dig... sigh. Then I did the unthinkable. I sought out the instructions. Gawd bless the interwebs. I found the manual online and learned that I wasn't supposed to be searching for a Beep... I needed to be listening for a Bzzzzt.

Here a bzzzt... there a bzzzt... But nowhere a sustained bzzzzt until...

I had come to peace with misplacing my partner's piece of eight... I didn't feel great, but I made my lemonade... and it was sweet. Still, I'm delighted to again be the Lord of my Ring. And it came with a nice tale... a trilogy as it turned out. I love my neighbors. I love my neighborhood.

In first grade, Mrs. Goodrich used to play the sing along piano for all classes assembled. I am reminded of...
Love is something if you give it away
You end up having more

It's just like a magic penny
Hold it tight & you won't have any
Lend it, spend it & you'll have so many
They'll roll all over the floor.

Magic Penny
(Malvina Reynolds)

No comments: