CNN asks the bold question:
Teenage terrorist or confused kid?
-- Gitmo's youngest prisoner [More at CNN.com...]
Several facts seem to be in dispute. Here is what is known.
- Omar Khadr is a Canadian.
- He had nothing to to do with 9/11.
- In the Spring of 2002 after having fled the UN invasion to take down the Taliban government, then 15 year old Omar returned to Afghanistan with his father's blessing to work as a translator.
- In July of 2002, Omar was severely wounded and an American soldier was mortally wounded after a firefight broke out between Omar's employers and US troops.
- Omar is being held as a war criminal.
- A month after his 16th birthday, Omar was transferred to Guantanamo where he remains 6 and a half years later.
| ||Turning the corner, an American soldier shot the lone surviving gunman and then spied the young Canadian teenager with his back to the noise, kneeling in pain against a shrub. Raising his rifle, he fired two shots into Omar's back. [More...]|| |
It is quite possible that Omar was a terrorist in training. It's even more probable he was just a pawn. It's certain that the United States looks more like the old Soviet Union with its present gulag in Guantanamo.
A teenage Omar Khadr sobs uncontrollably as Canadian spy agents question him at the U.S. military prison in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, in a brief video excerpt released via the internet