Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Brother, can you spare $25

Senator and presidential candidate Barack Obama will be coming to to River City, but you better bring your change jar if you want to get a peek at this candidate for change. It will cost you $25 to get into the Oregon Convention Center for this "rally." For the blue blood blue Oregonians, you can buy into a smaller reception with Obama on a "sliding scale" from $500 to $2300.

I still recall getting to listen to Gov. Jerry Brown back in 2000 as he stood atop a table amongst the stacks at Powell's Book Store. I didn't have to pay for the pleasure, but i did buy a book that day. Then Gov. Clinton stole his thunder. He filled Pioneer Courthouse Square and then some. I tossed a bill in the bucket for Bill.

In reality, this is a fundraiser for Obama and not a rally, so i'm not really complaining. Ralph Nader held the same kind of event here last time around. (Note to Nader: I'll be voting me fears, not my hopes this time around.) But on the topic of "some voices being louder" one has to admit that some voters are more valuable. The current supreme law of the land states that "money is speech" so the richer you are, the more you hear and get heard. We do still have free speech in America, just no free tickets this time to see Obama. Maybe next time.
______________________________
Here's an interesting note from Charlie Burr at BlueO. "Because Obama already enjoys Secret Service protection, advance staff will need names before the event if you're attending. Thanks."

Do all senators enjoy Secret Service Protection? (Does anyone really enjoy it?) I mean, not a single delegate has been chosen, so no one can claim yet to be on the road to the White House. Anyone? anyone...
______________________________
Update 9:15am: BlueO's Kari Chisholm is trying to burnish his "independent" cred commenting on Charlie's post:

Posted by: Kari Chisholm | Aug 22, 2007 12:36:23 AM

I've endorsed John Edwards. I'm on the Edwards for Oregon steering committee. I've given John Edwards way too much money.

I am blissfully awaiting all the usual ranting - "BlueOregon is Kari's personal plaything where we only hear about Kari's favorite candidates". Bring 'em on, people.

I was surprised (not) to see BlueO's chief editor calling for off topic comments. This is a thread about Barack Obama after all. He came to his senses after a good night's rest.

Posted by: Kari Chisholm | Aug 22, 2007 8:58:48 AM

Alright, Bill R., let's stay on topic. This is not a thread about Brian Baird and Iraq.

As for the money thing, I actually think that this is a brilliant strategy.

Ralph Nader did this back in 2004, and it worked pretty well....

Kari echoes my note about the Nader event. Could it be that the president of Mandate starts his day with a hot cup o' Thom?

2 comments:

Kari Chisholm said...

I'm not sure I'd call it a "hot cup", but I do drop by here now and again (as you know.)

Do all senators enjoy Secret Service Protection?

No, they don't. Presidential candidates qualify for it based on some objective criteria that involves number of primaries won. Or... the Secret Service can make a judgment call to offer protection when circumstances call for it.

The Obama camp is being tight-lipped, but there seems to have been some concern about the quantity and quality of death threats aimed at him. He's gotten Secret Service protection sooner than any presidential candidate in history (excepting Hillary Clinton, who gets it by dint of being a former president's spouse, not a candidate.)

Thom said...

This is what I feared. :(

I'm not sure I'd call it a "hot cup"

But you haven't seen me in a tank top since losing those 50 lbs!

(And you never thanked me for the card and poem! So no chocolates and flowers!)